Flashing a new firmware (image) by Browser
What you need to flash
You need the image file you want to flash. Image files have the extension *.nfi. You can't flash other
images like *.img files from the DM7000. Don't try it - it won't work.
You need either a DHCP server, a configured bootloader or a serial cable and a terminal program
You need a browser, and a network cable. If you connect the Dreambox directly to the PC,
you need a cross cable, if you connect trough a switch/hub/router you need a normal
To flash a new image, you can use the second stage loader. It must be present and not broken.
The following steps assume you have a DHCP server. If you don't have one, you have to setup
an IP address in the bootloader's serial setup. Oh, and it assumes you have a second-stage
loader newer than Version 37. The Second-stage version is displayed when you poweron the box,
in the LCD. look for "BOOT #37" (which is version 37). If it says "CF FOUND" instead, remove the
compact flash card to see the version message. If it doesn't say anything, it's probably an even
- - Power down the Dreambox, either using "shutdown" (to enter the deep-standby mode) or by
using the power-switch. Not standby!
- - (1.) Press and hold the lower "frontpanel" button.
- (2.) Switch on the dreambox, either by using the powerswitch or, in deep-standby mode,
press the power button. Still, hold the lower button.
- (3.) A text "*** STOP ***" should appear. If something like "/flash".. appears, you didn't
hold the right button. Now you can release the button.
The bootloader entered the "waiting" mode.
- (4.) Above the "*** STOP ***" text, there should appear an IP-address
(four decimal values with a dot in between). If there appears the string "dhcp" instead,
the box still searches for a DHCP server. Wait a bit. If it doesn't change, something doesn't
work with the DHCP server. Check whether network cable is plugged in etc. If it just doesn't
work, set an IP using the serial terminal
- - Now, open a browser on your PC.
First enter in the address line http://ip (add here your ip)
then on the bottom of the page, there's a link called "firmware upgrade". Click it.
On the next page, you can select the flash image you want to flash. be sure that it has the ".nfi" extension.
You can't flash other images.
- Click on "flash" and wait. It might take some time for uploading the image.
- Switch the box off again, and on again. The new image should be flashed and working.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)